Our electronic voting was a success.
543 members voted- that’s 45% Our largest percentages ever!
Here are the official numbers:
Total number of votes: 543
“Yes” votes: 359 (66.11%)
“No” votes: 184 (33.89%)
A total of 50%+1 vote of the members who voted is needed to ratify the contract. 359 votes = 66% therefore the contract is ratified.
UNOCH thanks all of our members for your support, involvement, and commitment to a better Rady Children’s Hospital.
Copy and paste the address below into your browser to choose how you would like to receive your ratification bonus- either as cash, or as a deposit into your 403b account.
RN Negotiations… Changes Summary
For a full copy of the proposed changes, go to the “members resources” tab, then click on “Newsletters” Hit the blue box to download the most recent newsletter, it contains the complete contract version of proposed changes.
Here is a brief synopsis of the agreement- the detailed summary was mailed to all RN’s on Thursday July 3rd.
1. NO Takeaways- you can thank your negotiating team for that that means that the health care cost proportions will not change, the Standby/ Call back, Overtime and existing Per Diem language will not change.
2. Across the board increases- 2%/ 2%/ 2% = 6% over three years (remember the top of the grid moves up too).
3. Section 1113 A and B- ECMO Prime differential of $2.5/ hr for all hours worked as ECMO Prime nurse
And an “all team”page bonus of $250.00 if you are off and respond to the page and come in to work
CRRT- Same language as ECMO with the “all team” bonus as well
4. Retirement- New Section 1806 A. Changes to Defined Benefit and 403b for employees hired after JULY 1, 2014 (NOT YOU!!) B. Retirement Bonus- $9,000 retirement bonus to employees with 30 years of service who are between the ages of 62-65 (a bridge to medicare accommodation)
5. Per Diem- We were able to retain the CURRENT Per Diem language that we have in the contract now (min. requirement = 2 shifts/pp and you can still cancel yourself 72 hrs before your shift) now listed as “Option A.” Two additional options added with a higher commitment and a $8.00/ hr diff.
6. Ratification Bonus- Still in place- You have the option of having RCHSD deposit the bonus into your Fidelity account. Bonus checks can be taxed very high- think seriously about that.
7. RN New Grads Residency RN’s to be paid $25.00/hr during the 18 week program ONLY, then advanced to the grid rate. New grads will receive benefits during their residency.
8. Staffing Committee- New Section UNOCH and RCHSD will form a joint committee (much like the Floating Committee) to look at staffing ratios, whats ok, and whats not ok.
9. Floating- Rancho Springs Satellite became self-sufficient today!
The beginning of a 6 month trial that may be passed on to the other satellites.
10. The 24 Hour Clock- The day will start at 0700- that means if you work night shift you can stay over for a 0730 meeting. You clock out at 0730, clock back in at 0730 for your meeting and not incur OT. No more sleeping in cars!! Night shift nurses told UNOCH that they would rather be able to attend a meeting and then go home. If you are working a night shift and your work takes you past 0730- you will still be paid OT because it is still part of your shift.
Thank you to all of our RN’s for your encouragement and support. This contract would not have been possible without you.
Update June 30, 2014 9:00pm
Today UNOCH and RCHSD signed an agreement to extend the current RN contract as long as both sides are negotiating productively. That means that the proposals have to show movement. No change in shifts for now!
We are meeting with the hospital to continue negotiations tomorrow.
Across the board increases- UNOCH feels that although our salaries have improved since we unionized, when you factor in our benefits (or lack of) we still are behind our closest competitors UCSD and Kaiser. 2% just won’t cut it.
Take away language regarding Standby/Call Back and Overtime- UNOCH is standing firm that we will not agree to changing the current contract language.
Retirement Health Care for retirees- We are still working on this. We have had a dialog and several proposals- there may be hope! (Don’t even ask us to compare this to either UCSD or Kaiser).
Per Diem- We have been able to retain the current contract language, same minimum commitment, and ability to self cancel – now referred to as “Option A” plus two fifty
options that pay at a higher rate with a higher commitment.
RN New Grad pay- We are having a serious dialog about pay for new grad RNs during the 18 week residency program. No conclusions yet.
Health Care Costs- RCHSD has proposed a change in the proportion of health care costs that they will pay. The current system is admittedly very confusing, but the changes they are proposing will be detrimental to some. UNOCH has not agreed to the changes.
Strike Vote Suspended for now. June 27th 5:30 pm
UNOCH & RCHSD AGREE TO EXTEND CONTRACT
Late this afternoon an agreement was reached to extend the terms of the current RN contract while UNOCH and RCHSD continue to negotiate. In good faith for a productive session, UNOCH has agreed to suspend the Strike Vote for now.
We have not accepted the terms of the proposed, “last, best, and final” contract offer. We have agreed to extend our current contract and to return to the negotiations table on Monday.